Newfoundland Laundry

The Newfoundland Laundry (also called the Wing None Laundry) was at the corner of Pleasant and Springdale Streets (42 Pleasant). At one time it was owned by Sam Hing, but it was later taken over by Nock Fong a.k.a. Wing None. Nock Fong arrived in Newfoundland in 1925, and at some point began working for his uncle and sponsor, Sam Hing. Eventually Nock Fong took over the business from Hing. Nock Fong operated it until 1966, when he moved his family to Port-aux-Basques and opened the Rose Garden Restaurant.

Photo: Miriam Wright, showing a close-up of St. John's Fire Insurance Atlas, 1925 (City of St. John's Archives)

Newfoundland Laundry