Hop Wah Laundry

The Hop Wah Laundry was among the earliest in St.John's. It opened on Casey Street, just below Central Avenue, sometime before 1908. According to the 1921 Newfoundland Census, the proprietor was named Hop Wah, but the other employees had the surname Hong. The 1945 Newfoundland Census lists Earn Hong, 61, as the proprietor. The laundry closed sometime in the 1940s. Earn Hong, who had lived in Newfoundland since 1903, returned to China in 1947. Whether he ever came back to Newfoundland is unknown. The picture was taken in 1922.

1922 Photo
Cabot Street Mural
1940s Photo